Volunteering Opportunities at Monkton Nature Reserve
Want to meet new people? Get involved in a project? Develop skills? Share your experience and skills with others?
Why not join the team of volunteers at Monkton Nature Reserve?
As Monkton Nature Reserve is a charity, volunteers are at the core of our operations, and we are always looking for new members to join our excellent team. New volunteers will help us expand and offer our visitors more activities and events, learning new skills and making new friends in the process.
We have many opportunities for volunteers – some for those who prefer to be outside, others working inside our Field Study Centre with its museum, exhibits, shop, café, bird viewing area, and extensive second-hand bookshop.
We appreciate whatever time you can offer – be it a couple of hours a week, a full day, or more. Helping out during term-time only, or school holidays only, is also welcome. Many of the volunteer roles can be fulfilled from home if you have the use of a computer.
If you feel like you’d like to join us and take on a new opportunity, please contact us or download and fill in our Volunteer Application Form (or fill it in online).
The following are some of the openings we have:
- Book-keeper – not a full Treasurer (this is the responsibility of our Trustees), but someone to maintain the accounts and pay the bills. Obviously, we need someone who’s good with figures and preferable Microsoft Excel spreadsheets.
- Education Activity Leaders – Do you have experience teaching groups of children and in-depth knowledge in an area of natural history? We are looking to expand our education team and find group leaders who can get involved in our education days.
- Greeters – to be in reception and welcome visitors on arrival and advise them on what there is to do on the Reserve. Ideal for those who like public interaction or those with limited mobility.
- Membership Secretary – to maintain our membership records – a vital role for the Reserve.
- Cabin Help – the Cabin is our café. Volunteer in the Cabin can serve refreshments to visitors and keep the kitchen area clean and tidy.
- Plant Sales – to look after our plants for sale, including maintaining the and possibly propagating and potting plants.
- Fundraising – to assist with expanding our calendar of events and activities. This role will be working in conjunction with current staff, and needs someone to manage the events calendar, contact possible speakers, workshop leaders, etc.