The hard work of our volunteers has succeeded in creating a thriving and successful nature reserve at Monkton. We want to build on this in the future and need your help.
Monkton Nature Reserve is unique in East Kent as the only independently owned nature reserve, held in trust for the local people and managed by Thanet Countryside Trust. As such, it has only two part-time staff members, with the vast majority of its care and upkeep being provided by volunteers from our communities.
How you can help
We have opportunities for volunteering in a range of areas so there really is something for everyone. And putting something back into the area is both rewarding and fun. It’s also a great opportunity to learn new skills and meet new people of all ages.
- Running the second-hand bookshop and Reception
- Tree and hedgerow maintenance
- Alien plant removal
- Grassland management
- Growing, potting up and caring for plants which are for sale, as well as maintaining our cultivated areas
- Our growing education programme for schools
- Administration and recording information
- Telephone and computer work (which could be done at home)
- Marketing, publicity and advertising
- Carpentry, electrical and plumbing tasks
- Completing surveys
We have supported volunteers with focused training and references to help them to find work. Some volunteers have been with us for years, whilst others contribute their time for shorter periods. All contributions of time spent working on the Reserve is valued and greatly appreciated, and ultimately benefits our local community.
Volunteers will be invited to enjoy a BBQ and a Christmas meal together.
THERE IS FREE TEA AND COFFEE FOR VOLUNTEERS! …AND, PROBABLY, BISCUITS!
If you are able to help Monkton Nature Reserve by volunteering a little of your time, then please get in touch